Minggu, 31 Oktober 2010

Calculating My FootPrint Carbon

          
           Hmm.. interesting! Bu Stien asked us to measure our electricity, water, waste, and meal for one day. Those aim to measure how much CO2 that are used by calculating them for one week, one month, and one year too.

            For calculating enviro-meal, I have to practice cooking. Actually I often cook but I never calculate it in detail. Together with Nunu, we cooked “Pecel Telor” and calculated how much budget that we had spent and how much carbon that we produce as result of cooking. For example If I went to market for buying vegetables by car or motorcycle, I would produce carbon because of petrol consumption. But actually I went there on foot so I had zero carbon production for travel.



            Many elements are also considered, like what’s type of vegetable that is used, local, imported or own garden product. For packaging I used plastic, tin, or paper, it’s also part of consideration.

            Beside enviro-meal, I should calculate electricity, water use, waste, and travel. Those were little bit complicated because I should make sure how many liters of water that I spent to take a bath, wash, brush my teeth, wash my dish, wudhu, and drink. So did for electricity I should know how many Watts electricity that I used to turn on my personal computer, lamp, and fan. You know guys? For carbon travel calculation, everyday there is no carbon that I produce because I go to campus by bike. I am glad with that because although it is just a little contribution, I have tried to reduce carbon pollution. Well, it is may be a funny thing because in Jakarta there are so many cars and motorcycles that produce pollution. I and my bike compare with people with cars and motorcycle like a grain of rice in a big bowl of rice. It doesn’t matter for me. As long as I comfort and I feel free and fortunately I do something for my environment.




            The result of my calculation is 1,18 kg CO2 for one day; 8,26 kg CO2 for one week; 247,8 kg CO2 for one month and 2973,6 kg CO2 for one year. That result is just for one person. I imagine, how many CO2 that is produce by people in one country and also in our earth? How a big amount it is.

            That’s why, once more, Bu Stien remembered us again to reduce our footprint and improve our handprint. Later on in the end of third semester, I should submit my “Green Teacher Project”. It will be challenging. I have told the idea but I keep it still in my secret. Just wait it, I will share in this blog (^_^)



3 komentar:

  1. Can't wait to see your project then!

    Mbak Indah sometimes I found that there is something that we cannot calculate with this footprint. Is it really reliable???

    BalasHapus
  2. yeah aul..i think one of the reason is we don't realize exactly how much it's produced by us and with what measurement method that can calculate accurately..and also between one day to another day the data is not same.

    thank aul for this sharing ^_^

    BalasHapus
  3. Wow!
    Thank you for the idea :)
    Because I never think about that before.
    Sometimes we never think about the small things.
    Like doing calculating the carbon i used.
    Not only calculate the ingredients of meal that we need to have.
    It looks like 'think out of the box'.
    Thank you kak Indah :)
    It makes me have a new inspiration.
    Let's Go GREEN!

    BalasHapus